Pages

Monday, November 05, 2012

Panorama Stitching

Do you need, or want to create a panorama? 

Maybe you need to create a personalized flying area for your Rc Flight Simulator such as you can create for Phoenix Flight Simulator, Creating a Custom Flying Sites (pdf). Maybe you want an Aerial Panorama well for whatever your reasons have I found an application that might be right up your alley and right for you which is also totally FREE.

Photosynth (home)
by Microsoft.

I know there are many and probably far too many Panorama Stitching Applications which can be found around the NET but this one in my opinion is by far the easiest to use thus painless programs for creating such panoramas I've ever used. Might even say it was FUN but certainly FUN when viewed in 3D Mode. After trying the software yourself maybe you would agree, might even challenge one to disagree ...

Although a Microsoft creation and "Microsoft" creating software for an Apple machine did strike me as sublimely funny the version I tried was indeed for iOS6, iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. 

Yes they do offer a desktop version and I will update this post when I have tried and have something to say about it. Until then I will be looking at Photosynth on my iPod Touch.


Getting Started?


Disclaimer: Although the iOS6 version of Photosynth does NOT require we have an account but note as I've not tried all the applications at the time of this writing it's a best guess as to the reason we need an account? Might want to check into that least we find signing up was simply a marketing trick to get thus spam our email, Caveat Emptor ... See 'Update' further down ...

Quote: From their What is Photosynth page:
First create a Photosynth account. Then download the tool or tools you need: 
















Following panorama was taken with my iPad Touch and Photosynth. However this shoot shouldn't be taken as a refection of Photosynth's abilities as my iPod is NOT the BEST and do note the Hint of Sarcasm! I have fixed the image in my photo editor but either I need more skill or we just have to accept this camera's crappy image ... 

Anyway, for better or worse, my Workbench ...




















For added-value while here I may as well show everyone the last Panorama Stitching application I was using which also comes highly recommended by those in photo community. 

The program 


Update I have downloaded and tried the 'desktop' version of Photosynth and 'they' do require you SIGN-Up for an account. They claim teh Sign-up is needed so we can participate in the on-line community and upload our media to their servers amongst a few other on-line services. However this is disappointing and unacceptable as it is a FORCED Sign-In even if we have NO intention of using any of their on-line services!

LAST Word: In my opinion the 'desktop' version is still very easy to use however it's not as much FUN nor as intuitive in use has the iOS6 version. Nevertheless for creating our source images the fact we have a choice of using a better camera I think makes up for any minor differences or perceived shortcoming. Sure I still like 'Photosynth' and will keep it ready to go although I certainly don't like being 'forced' to sign up for an account.


What do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment